I'm a Finisher



                   In the year 490 B.C, there was a war between Greece and Persian kingdoms. Greece dint have enough potential but their solders outshine Persian tactics and won the battle of Marathon. This news had to be carried to capital Athens along with a warning message that Persian army might attack the city through sea; So Army general had chosen pheidippides (a messenger/runner) to send the message to Athens. He had run all the way from Marathon Battle Ground to Athens around 26 miles. After delivering the message of “Joy to You”, Pheidippides died shortly thereafter from exhaustion. He had died not because of just 26 miles run.. He was sent to contact Sparta army 140 miles away from the battle ground to seek help.280 miles of running (66 Hours) on rugged mountainous path followed by a day of battle and again 26 miles of running (3 Hours) to Athens on the same day wasn’t an easy challenge. He pushed himself past normal limits of human endurance.

Later modern Olympics has introduced the event “Marathon”(26.2 miles), today this event has been organized for various causes around the world for various distance. Running for a cause is really a great feeling. It makes to push yourself beyond your own limits. Only when we break our limits we can realize the complete potential of our self. It’s always fun to try new things though it is tough. But it’s all your desire which decides how long you will have the fun.  

I wanted to run a Marathon. Athletics is always one of my very fascinating sports. I knew there was a much distance longer than a marathon between my imagination and reality when I come to running marathon. But still don’t want to miss the fun of trying a new marathon venture. Besides few motivating facts to run marathon, daily morning cricket woke me up on time and pushed me to the ground. Couple of weeks on practice on the local ground gave many new experiences… new learning. You would come across many wonderful experiences with your body when you try to tune it to work in certain way.

Finally marathon Battle day has come. None of my Sundays have started so early in the last couple of months. Sounds of rain on our house corridor woke me up at 4:40AM on that Sunday. I was tried to keep myself very fit on the race day. But I got two minor blood injuries in the feet on the day before. It won’t affect my run in anyways but it seemed like a bad sign. Rains dint last for longtime as expected. Event was organized in the central part of the city, so traffics were closed on many sides around the stadium from where the run starts and ends. I began my running right from the road itself. There was a huge traffic stuck on the roads so I got down from the bus in the middle of the traffic and started running towards the stadium.

The entire event area was colourful with lot of hoardings and banners. Since it’s an International event we had many foreign faces around. Athletes from foreign nations have come to the city. After entering into the stadium whoever I saw was very busy moving around. Some are doing warm-up … some are looking to catch up the celebrities and big shots pictures in their camera…. Even I too got busy in sometime….needed  to go for a Pissss…… many empty lands but crowd around … so decency maintained. Looked for a toilet and found out one under gate 4. There was a long Q waiting to give entry to a small three basined stadium restroom. We had only 20 minutes left for the event to start. I could not find out another restroom right then. In my life time, I never thought of how much time a man takes to settle down his natural call. I calculated with all my mathematical knowledge to find out how much time it would take for me to reach the toilet room. Number of persons standing on the line and average time taken per person on the toilet has given me a hopeful result. I was out in few minutes as calculated. Meanwhile standing in the Q, I was framing out some fastest methods to use toilets also ;-)

A Huge mass of runners thronged the stadium tracks. Music was played in high pitch. Clock ticked 8:00:00.Great enthusiasm and energy kicked the Bangalore runners to start off with a power. I expected energy of most these runners would be burnt off before 5Km but my jinx was broken. I came across many men in 40s and young girls running in 7-8 Kms distance. 


This run is not easy for all. Pain spreads from your thigh to hip as you move on for miles.. You can’t hold your breath.. You would be panting like anything….mind slowly lose your body balance. You have to overcome all to keep yourself running or else you would be a loser on the day….. Your own limitations are broken here. A strong mental strength needed to catch hold of your energies and confidence.

There were hundreds of photographers clicking continuously all my sides along the running track. Many children were cheering us from the sides of the track by giving flowers, holding pluck cards and charts with inspirational and motivating quotes. I have got few flowers from a foreign nation woman who said to me “You are doing great! Enjoy!!”.  I have never come across such a beautiful path ever before in my life time.

Some Quotes from the cheerers I could remember:

“Pain is temporary; Pride lasts forever”

“My Hero!!  Never Give up!!”

“Know your limits, then ignore them”

“You are a Rock star”

“You are stronger than you think”


NIKE Company has promised to give Special Marathon Edition T-Shirt for first 1500 Finishers. This challenge was put up against 21000 runners. It can only be earned by running fast. It can’t be purchased anywhere in the showrooms.  Somehow I managed to finish as 507th runner. I would be Proud to wear it as a Finisher.



Try out new things in life!!   New Challenges!!   New Experiences!!   Keep Refreshing life!!

Or else your Time SUCKS..!!


I got a call from NIKE Showroom, Brigade road to collect my finisher tee. I’m going this weekend to collect it J







Popular posts

Lost Baggage

Christmas Guest